Stoa Digest #115: 🏙️ Settling in Style 🏙️
City Lights & New Heights!
Hey there, Stoans!
First off, kudos to all the fellows from C10 and C11 who attempted the Charter over the last weekend! It takes an immense amount of effort and courage to put in hours and deliver quality results.
Wishing every candidate the very best in their future endeavors! 🚀
A friend of mine recently landed a new role and had to move to a different city. He was excited about this new opportunity but was also uncertain about a lot of things. This got me thinking and I realized that a lot of us struggle to find the right resources to guide us into settling into a new environment.
Moving to a new city opens up a world of possibilities and experiences but to help you make the most of it, I've compiled a list of 10 essential tips. So, fasten your seat belts and get ready to explore! 💯
1. Finding Your Nest: When it comes to finding a new place to call home, start by exploring local real estate websites, connecting with brokers, or even asking your new colleagues for recommendations. Take your time, visit potential homes, and consider factors like commute, neighborhood safety, and amenities. You can also post on WhatsApp community groups, start a Twitter thread, or browse through Facebook groups.
2. Navigating Local Transport: Getting around in a new city can be daunting, but it doesn't have to be. Research the local transport options, including buses, metros, and cab services. Compare options like Uber and Ola to get a sense of things.
3. Unearthing Hidden Gems: Discovering the best places to socialize and unwind is a priority. Ask locals for their favorite spots, and explore nearby cafes, restaurants, parks, and cultural events. It's a great way to immerse yourself in the city's culture.
4. The Art of Making New Friends: Building a social circle in a new city can take time, but it's worth the effort. Attend local meetups, join social clubs or classes that interest you, and be open to making new connections. Find your tribe within the city by exploring happening spots in town by getting recommendations from colleagues and locals.
5. Embrace Your Hobbies: One way to connect with like-minded individuals is to pursue your hobbies and interests. Whether it's sports, art, or a love for books, there are often local clubs or groups you can join. Explore social media to find events that suit your liking.
6. Networking for Success: Networking isn't just about job opportunities; it's also about meeting people who can introduce you to the city. Attend industry events, connect with colleagues, and engage in conversations.
7. Become a Local Foodie: Exploring the city's culinary scene is an adventure in itself. Try the local dishes, visit food festivals, and ask for recommendations from locals. It's a delicious way to experience your new surroundings. Check out Zomato for a list of recommended cafes and restaurants.
8. Stay Safe and Informed: Prioritize your safety by learning about the various neighborhoods. Make sure you get accustomed to emergency contact information. Stay informed about local news and events to stay connected with your community.
9. Embrace the Unfamiliar: Moving to a new city is an opportunity to step out of your comfort zone. Embrace the unfamiliar, whether it's a new language, local traditions, or trying out activities you've never done before.
10. Keep Exploring: Your journey in this new city is ongoing. Keep exploring, trying new things, and making memories. Take weekend trips to nearby attractions, and try to document your adventures.
Moving to a new city is an incredible journey filled with personal and professional growth opportunities. Embrace the change, stay open-minded, and remember that every challenge you face will only make you stronger.
Let the adventure begin! ✨
~ Adi, Team Stoa
People of Stoa
This week features Renuka Figueiredo from C8 sharing her experience of shifting from a high-growth startup to building and running her own NGO. 🫂
🔥 Community Sneak Peak 🔥
🍩 Community Drop 🍩
🐝 Community Buzz 🐝
The Mumbai fam met up over the weekend for a super fun board game night organised by Jenish Gevaria from C13. 🔥
⏯ For Stoans by Stoans ⏯
A goldmine of case books to help you practice your business skills.
An interesting read on the difference between Interesting and Smart.
A good watch on how the DRS system works in the world of cricket
Here’s a great online course to get better at content writing.
A gem from the Stoa Daily archives on doing hard things.